Monday, November 15, 2010

Israel, Redux

Masada was one of the bleakest places I have ever seen. Nothing much grows in the Dead Sea region, unless it is artificially irrigated. On top of Masada, there was not a single tree, or flower. The only vegetation in sight was a clump or two of dry grass.


But this bird was there. Bold and bright eyed, he perched on a railing of the Masada ruins, checking out all the thirsty tourists. How on earth does this bird survive in this dessert? I was baffled, but the bird seemed completely unconcerned.

I thought I had left my Israel posts behind me. I thought I was done. But yesterday I helped teach the 4 year olds in Sunday school. The lesson was taken from the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus tells the people not to worry about what they will eat or drink, "Look at the birds of the air," He tells them, "they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable then they?" (Matthew 6:26) Mrs. Sylvia simplified it a bit for the children. "God cares for the birds," she told them, "They do not worry about what they will eat. And God cares for you, too. He will take care of your needs."
As I was listening to Mrs. Sylvia teach the children, my mind kept coming back to this picture of the bird at Masada. Sure, it's easy to see how God cares for the birds of Florida. We have bugs the size of mini-vans flying around, and worms practically jump from the ground every morning. But that bird at Masada was living in, from all appearances, a completely barren wasteland devoid of all life. Except it wasn't devoid of all life. Obviously, the bird survived, so there must have been a food source for him somewhere. God was providing sustenance for that bird, even in that harsh environment.
Can I take to heart the simple lesson we were trying to teach a group of 4 year olds? I saw with my own eyes a bird who was not worried. Should I be worried? Financially, things have been pretty bleak in this country lately. Maybe not Dead Sea bleak, but it's been tough for a lot of people. It's hard not to worry. But the next time a worry tries to take hold in my mind, I will remember the Masada bird, and believe that God values me as much as the birds of the air. He will take care of me.
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

No comments: