Thursday, June 17, 2010

Musings from Israel, part two


Rock of Ages

Exodus 17:6 Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock in Horeb, and you shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink.

This strange account may seem like nonsense, but it is the perfect combination of two important metaphors: the water and the rock.


In our journey through Israel, after we discussed the significance of water, we turned our focus to rocks. We visited Banias, a.k.a. Ceasarea Phillippi, where a large cave opens in a towering cliff face. In ancient times, a spring gushed out from this cave, and it was known as "the Gates of Hades." It was here in this area where Peter declared the diety of Jesus, and Jesus responded, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:17-18)


While there is some debate over whether Jesus meant Himself or Peter when He refered to "this rock," there is no doubt that Jesus is THE rock of our salvation (1 Cor. 10: 4 - "that Rock was Christ.")


So back to the Exodus passage....the picture becomes crystal clear! Just as Moses struck the rock in Horeb and the water flowed out to meet the needs of the people, so too Jesus (the Rock) was struck (crucified) to provide living water for His people.


It is both simple and profound.

Hear my cry, O God.
Attend to my prayer.
From the end of the earth,
I will cry to You.
When my heart is overwhelmed,
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 61:1-2

No comments: